Professor Javed Ahmed is a Consultant Interventional Cardiologist at Freeman Hospital, a large teaching hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne. In addition, he has specialist clinics across Nort East of England where he sees prívate patients.
Freeman Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne has high volume coronary catheter laboratories where he performs PCI on patients with stable angina, unstable angina and primary PCI (emergency treatment for heart attacks). Additionally, he looks after in-patients with a wide range of cardiac conditions.
He has a broad based training in all aspects of general cardiology with particular expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease and intravascular imaging.
He regularly consults patients presenting with following symptoms and signs and cardiovascular conditions:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Heart murmurs
- Dizziness and blackouts
- Hyperlipidaemia (high cholesterol)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Assessment and treatment of heart failure and valvular heart disease.
- Cardiovascular disease prevention (coronary risk reduction)
- Assessment of patients at risk of developing heart attack and stroke using the latest diagnostic technology
He regularly teaches medical students and is responsible for training cardiology trainees and interventional fellows in all aspects of general cardiology and coronary intervention. His research interests are in new interventional coronary devices, restenosis after coronary stenting, intra-coronary imaging and myocardial infarction.
Furthermore, Professor Ahmed is an investigator for several international trials, has published several scientific articles in peer reviewed journals and has authored over 100 abstracts. In addition, Professor Ahmed is one of the international experts in coronary imaging and have got considerable experience in complex coronary interventional techniques including rotational atherectomy, laser coronary angioplasty and stenting and intracoronary imaging which forms part of his routine clinical practice and research expertise. He has developed an interest in cardiac CT for both diagnosis and research in coronary disease.
- General Medical Council (No: 3447055)
- Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
- European Society of Cardiology
- Royal College of Physicians, London, Edinburgh
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Cardiovascular Interventional Society